Powerful 7.7 Magnitude Earthquake Off Coast of Cuba and Jamaica Felt in Miami
Posted on January 28, 2020There was a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake today deep in the ocean about 80 miles from Jamaica. The earthquake caused buildings to shake as far away as Miami. Some of the buildings were evacuated.
A CNN report says there was a small tsunami of 0.4 feet recorded n the Caymand Islands.
The earthquake data from USGS says it was located 125km nnw of Lucea, Jumaica. It had a depth of 10 kilometers. There has already been an aftershock of 6.1 and additional aftershocks are anticipated.
More from Science Space & Robots
- JPL Shares New Version of The Pale Blue Dot
- CDC Ships Coronavirus Test Kits to Local U.S. Laboratories
- Gunakadeit Joseeae Thalattosaur Had an Extremely Pointed Snout
- Study Suggests Carrying for a Small Work Plant Can Reduce Stress
- Fish Parasite Named After Xena, the Warrior Princess