Latest Science Video: EVA Robot Has Soft and Expressive Face
Latest Science News
Follow us on Twitter, @science, for coverage of breaking science news stories.
- New Covid-19 Variant XE Discovered (April 5, 2022): New Covid-19 variant is known as XE. It is a combination of the original BA.1 omicron variant and its subvariant BA.2.
- New Type of Wave Discovered in the Sun (March 27, 2022): Researchers from NYU Abu Dhabi have discovered a new type of wave in the Sun. These high-frequency retrograde vorticity waves move in the opposite direction of the Sun's rotation. They move at three times the speed established by current theory. The research was published in the journal Nature Astronomy.
- Okra Goo May Help Remove Microplastics from Water (March 24, 2022): A new study has found that okra and fenugreek goo (polysaccharides) can help remove microplastics from water. There are mounting concerns that microplastics may impact human health.
- Japanese Firm Creating Haptic Pain Experiences for Metaverse (March 22, 2022): A Japanese firm is using haptic technology to develop ways for people to experience actual pain in the metaverse. H2L developed an arm band that enables users to feel the weight of objects or pain sensations like a bird pecking at your skin.
- Man Receiving First Pig Heart Transplant Dies (March 9, 2022): Man receiving first heart from a genetically modified pig dies. Lived two months with pig heart. Doctors say unclear yet whether his body rejected the organ.
Paleontologists from the Royal Ontario Museum have discovered the fossil of a large ancient creature in 500 million year old Cambrian rocks from Kootenay National Park in the Canadian Rockies. The newly identified species, Titanokorys gainesi, had an estimate length of about half a meter (1.6 feet). September 8, 2021
A new study has found that the bat fly likely uses bacteria to help it locate bats to feed on. The scent of chemicals produced on the bats' skin are the target of the blood-sucking flies. The image above shows a natal long-fingered bat parasitized by a male bat fly. August 3, 2021
The CDC has reported a case of monkeypox in a traveler arriving in Dallas from Nigeria. The traveler arrived in Dallas on July 9th and has been hospitalized in Dallas. This is the first known monkeypox virus infection in Texas. July 16, 2021
The Delta variant of the Covid-19 coronavirus is starting to spread quickly in the United States. Most states are now seeing increases in cases. July 13, 2021
EVA is a robot with a blue face that is soft and expressive. EVA can match the expressions of nearby humans. Researchers in the Creative Machines Lab at Columbia Engineering have spent the past five years developing EVA. May 29, 2021
Dr. Michael Osterholm, a leading epidemiologist and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, is warning that the U.S. is in the early stages of a new Covid-19 surge. The early signs of the surge are the rising cases and hospitalizations in the Midwest and Northeast. April 7, 2021
Boston Dynamics has unveiled a new box moving robot named Stretch. The company says Stretch is its first commercial robot designed specifically for warehouse and distribution centers. April 3, 2021
This is the heaviest cherry in the world. The sweet cherry known as a "Sweet Stephany" weighs 26.45 grams and beats the previous record of 23.93 grams. The record was confirmed by Guinness World Records. March 23, 2021
Scientists have determined that goats are better problem solvers that sheep. Researchers from Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (MLU) and the Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) observed goats and sheep attempting to navigate obstacles reach food in the study. March 20, 2021
Researchers at Duke University have discovered that a tiny crustacean can rapidly snap its giant claw. The little amphipod snaps its claw shut 10,000 times faster than the blink of a human eye. The sound of the claw snapping can be heard outside the water. February 8, 2021