China Unveils Elevated Bus That Passes Over Cars on the Highway
Posted on May 24, 2016
China unveiled the design for a Transit Elevated Bus (TEB) at the 19th China Beijing International High-Tech Expo. The bus has a passenger compartment that sits above the other vehicles on the road. This allows it to pass over vehicles as it moves along the highway. The TEB can carry as many as 1,200 people.
The developers say the TEB helps maximize the utilization of the road space. If your car is one of the vehicles that suddenly finds itself underneath the TEB it will be like having a tunnel suddenly pass over you.
Bai Zhiming, the engineer in charge of the TEB project, says in a statement, "With a carrying capacity of 1,200 people at a time, the TEB has the same functions as the subway while its cost of construction is less than one fifth of the subway. Its construction can be finished in one year."
CCTV News says trial operations of the TEB will begin in Qinhuangdao City later this year. A large model of a city, highway, cars and the TEB was on display at the tech show. Take a look:
- Cherry Grown in Experimental Garden is World's Heaviest Cherry
- Goats Solve Problems Better Than Sheep Say Scientists
- Tiny Crustacean Snaps Giant Claw Shut 10,000 Times Faster Than Blink of a Human Eye
- Wearable Robotic Third Arm Smashes Walls and Picks Vegetables
- Hexapod Robots Walk Faster With Flexible Feet