China Unveils Elevated Bus That Passes Over Cars on the Highway
Posted on May 24, 2016
China unveiled the design for a Transit Elevated Bus (TEB) at the 19th China Beijing International High-Tech Expo. The bus has a passenger compartment that sits above the other vehicles on the road. This allows it to pass over vehicles as it moves along the highway. The TEB can carry as many as 1,200 people.
The developers say the TEB helps maximize the utilization of the road space. If your car is one of the vehicles that suddenly finds itself underneath the TEB it will be like having a tunnel suddenly pass over you.
Bai Zhiming, the engineer in charge of the TEB project, says in a statement, "With a carrying capacity of 1,200 people at a time, the TEB has the same functions as the subway while its cost of construction is less than one fifth of the subway. Its construction can be finished in one year."
CCTV News says trial operations of the TEB will begin in Qinhuangdao City later this year. A large model of a city, highway, cars and the TEB was on display at the tech show. Take a look:
- NASA Image Shows Lake Mega Chad Remnants
- JPL Shares New Version of The Pale Blue Dot
- CDC Ships Coronavirus Test Kits to Local U.S. Laboratories
- Gunakadeit Joseeae Thalattosaur Had an Extremely Pointed Snout
- Study Suggests Carrying for a Small Work Plant Can Reduce Stress