Lost Emperor Penguin Ate 6.5 Pounds of Sand on New Zealand Beach
Posted on June 28, 2011
The lost Emperor penguin found at Peka Peka beach in New Zealand earlier this week is currently being treated at the Wellington Zoo. The confused penguin became sick after consuming 6.5 pounds of sand on the New Zealand bach. The penguin likely though the sand was snow. Early hopes by local wildlife officials that the penguin would return to the sea on its own obviously did not materialize.
Good Morning America reports that the penguin is improving after going through three surgical procedures to remove the sand from its stomach. The penguin is being kept in a chilled room at the zoo and is sleeping on a bed of ice. The penguin is expected to make a full recovery in two or three months.
Update: The penguin is recovering after it had surgery to remove sand and sticks from its digestive system.
- It Rains Liquid Iron on Exoplanet WASP-76b
- Study Reveals 3-D Structure of Ultra-Black Butterfly Wings
- NASA Image Shows Lake Mega Chad Remnants
- JPL Shares New Version of The Pale Blue Dot
- Gunakadeit Joseeae Thalattosaur Had an Extremely Pointed Snout