NYC Mayor Bloomberg Orders Mandatory Evacuations for Hurricane Irene
Posted on August 26, 2011
WYNC reports that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has ordered a mandatory evacuation of Zone A, the city's low-lying areas. A system-wide shutdown of the Metropolitan Transit Authority has also been issued.
Mandatory evacuations include nursing homes and five hospitals. Permits for city street events have also been revoked. Construction work has also been suspended in the city until Monday morning.
The current local forecast is calling for several feet of storm surge. The exact height will depend on the path Hurricane Irene takes.
BASED ON THE FORECAST TRACK OF IRENE THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL FEET OF SURGE... PARTICULARLY IN WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND... NEW YORK HARBOR... AND THE BACK SHORE BAYS OF LONG ISLAND AND NEW YORK CITY. THESE TIDAL CONDITIONS WOULD BE EXACERBATED BY BATTERING SURF.Gothamist has shared a map here that shows the the low lying Zones in New York City. More information about NYC evacuations can be found on the NYC Office of Emergency Management website.
- Cherry Grown in Experimental Garden is World's Heaviest Cherry
- Goats Solve Problems Better Than Sheep Say Scientists
- Tiny Crustacean Snaps Giant Claw Shut 10,000 Times Faster Than Blink of a Human Eye
- Wearable Robotic Third Arm Smashes Walls and Picks Vegetables
- Hexapod Robots Walk Faster With Flexible Feet