Monster Tornado Kills 116 People in Joplin, Missouri
Posted on May 23, 2011
Joplin, Missouri was hit by a devastating tornado yesterday. The death toll so far is a 116. This is the biggest death toll from a single tornado in nearly 60 years.
The devastating tornado added to a growing death toll from tornadoes in the U.S. in 2011. This is already one of the ten deadliest tornado seasons in U.S. history. The pictures coming out of Joplin make it look like a bomb went off in the city. There are flattened homes, trees stipped of bark and overturned vehicles. Take a look:
The Joplin tornado has been upgraded to an EF-5 after NWS surveyed the extreme damage.
Some survivors of the tornado are suffering from a mysterious fungal infection.
A receipt traveled 525 miles in the powerful tornado.
- Hexapod Robots Walk Faster With Flexible Feet
- Giant Hailstone From Argentina Could Set New World Record
- It Rains Liquid Iron on Exoplanet WASP-76b
- Study Reveals 3-D Structure of Ultra-Black Butterfly Wings
- NASA Image Shows Lake Mega Chad Remnants