Texas Boy Killed by Rare Deadly Amoeba

Posted on September 3, 2010

Another child has died from a rare deadly lake amoeba in Texas. There have been ten cases in Texas in the last ten years - all fatal. 7-year-old Kyle Lewis died just days after contracting the amoeba after swimming in a river during a family camping trip. The CDC says the amoeba, called Naegleria, resides in warm waters with a still current. The amoeba causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). It enters the body through the nose and makes its way to the spinal cord. It then enters the brain and destroys brain tissue. Symptoms include severe headaches, vomiting and high fevers. Confusion, seizures and lack of balance may result as the condition worsens. People can die within a week of being exposed to the amoeba. You can read a fact sheet from the CDC here. Take a look: