When Hair Cracks Steel
Posted on August 13, 2020
Hair can crack steel if it hits an imperfection at just the right angle. This is an issue for razor blade manufacturers.
This video from AAAS Science Magazine shows how razor blades have bumps and tiny imperfections that show up under an electron microscope. A study by researchers found that the roughness of the edge of the razor plays a role in the formation of chips that can lead to cracks. Some regions of the blade are also softer than other regions.
- Bat Flies Likely Use Bacteria to Find Bats to Bite
- EVA Robot Has Soft and Expressive Face
- Cherry Grown in Experimental Garden is World's Heaviest Cherry
- Goats Solve Problems Better Than Sheep Say Scientists
- Tiny Crustacean Snaps Giant Claw Shut 10,000 Times Faster Than Blink of a Human Eye