NASA Visualization of Shallow Lightning on Jupiter
Posted on August 10, 2020
This NASA visualization provides an animation of a simulated journey into a high-altitude exotic storm on Jupiter. The video shows ammonia-water rain and shallow lightning flashes.
NASA says the ammonia gas acts like an antifreeze at these altitudes and melts the water-ice crystals creating ammonia-water clouds that electrify the sky.
NASA says the the animation was created by combining an image of high-altitude clouds from the JunoCam imager on NASA's Juno spacecraft with a computer-generated animation.
- It Rains Liquid Iron on Exoplanet WASP-76b
- Study Reveals 3-D Structure of Ultra-Black Butterfly Wings
- NASA Image Shows Lake Mega Chad Remnants
- JPL Shares New Version of The Pale Blue Dot
- Gunakadeit Joseeae Thalattosaur Had an Extremely Pointed Snout