NASA Visualization of Shallow Lightning on Jupiter
Posted on August 10, 2020
This NASA visualization provides an animation of a simulated journey into a high-altitude exotic storm on Jupiter. The video shows ammonia-water rain and shallow lightning flashes.
NASA says the ammonia gas acts like an antifreeze at these altitudes and melts the water-ice crystals creating ammonia-water clouds that electrify the sky.
NASA says the the animation was created by combining an image of high-altitude clouds from the JunoCam imager on NASA's Juno spacecraft with a computer-generated animation.
- Cherry Grown in Experimental Garden is World's Heaviest Cherry
- Goats Solve Problems Better Than Sheep Say Scientists
- Tiny Crustacean Snaps Giant Claw Shut 10,000 Times Faster Than Blink of a Human Eye
- Wearable Robotic Third Arm Smashes Walls and Picks Vegetables
- Hexapod Robots Walk Faster With Flexible Feet